Wednesday 1 May 2013

Altered Ikea Frame


Hi Paper Lane-rs  today I wish to share with you an Ikea photo frame that I altered into a clock using Martha Stewart's glow in the dark paint on the hour numbers and clock hands.

This is the Ikea photo frame I used ...
I wanted a shabby chic old look so I painted the surface of the clock with brown paint.  When the paint was dry I applied crackle paint and left it on my balcony to dry naturally and over night.  Then I brushed on a layer of white acrylic paint to allow the crackle to appear - loved the effect!


The clock hands and numbers have many layers of the glow in the dark paint.  When you apply so many layers of the glow in the dark paint it becomes like a thick film so half way through the painting process I pulled off some of the layers so that the gold of the clock hands shone through.  Then I applied a few more layers and that gave the effect of the clock hands having a weathered aged effect too.


I used white dabber on a wooden clock trinket - I positioned the clock hands with a brad and adhered to the center of the oval shape - look pretty good don't you think??!!

Next was just decorating with different flowers, I also added a bird and a birdhouse ... simple and clean just the effect I wanted.


I kept the style pink and shabby to go with the gifts I made my daughter for her birthday as she laid claim to the clock while I was in the midst of creating.

PRODUCTS USED

Martha Stewart vanilla bean acrylic craft paint
Martha Stewart weather crackle effect
Martha Stewart glow-in-the-dark finish

Adirondack snow cap acrylic paint dabber
Adirondack metallic copper acrylic paint dabber 
Jenni Bowlin malted milk paint dabber

En Francais A4 Paper Stack
Amy Tangerine Letter Stickers

Prima wood embellishments
Prima shabby chic treasures

Pink artifical flowers
Various white flowers

All these products are available at Paper Lane and more.  Paper Lane stocks the entire range of Martha Stewart craft products;  from stencil crafts to glass and glitter crafts, clay and molds and a vast selection of acrylic paints that are an absolute pleasure to work with. Go get your supplies now!

Happy crafting...Janine

1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and love them all; its like chocolates - I am addicted. See you again some time soon, hugs